May 15-18, 2020 (Fri-Mon)
Reserve your spot
Team Asha Climbing Program is bringing a new target for our athletes.We are full now for this trip. If you missed it, hope to see you next year!
“There’s no question about it, the rim-to-rim hike in Grand Canyon National Park is a classic bucket list adventure. But it’s no stroll through the park, that’s for sure. Being unprepared can have catastrophic results. However, when you’ve trained properly, have the right gear and know what to expect, it can be one of the most memorable experiences of your life.”
– National Park Foundation
- This hike will start early on Saturday from South Kaibab trail at South Rim to reach Phantom Ranch before sun heats up the place.
- After resting and as the sun starts to cool down, we continue to hike to North Rim and stay overnight at their first come first served campsite.
- The return journey will began after lunch on Sunday providing more time to relax and explore North Rim
- The return trip will end on Bright Angel trail at South Rim
- This hike will late in the afternoon on Saturday from North Rim.
- Participants will be required to make their own arrangements to shuttle from South Rim to North Rim.
- Campsites at Bright Angel Campground are reserved for Saturday night.
- After a good rest and exploring the canyon, we would start our hike to South Rim on Sunday via Bright Angel trail.
Application Cost: $150
Fundraising Goal: $1000(1)
Skill/Fitness Needs: Extremely High Endurance(2)
(1) In case the registered participant cannot attend this objective hike, s/he shall pledge to raise a minimum of $750. This will be waived for documented medical emergencies only. No exceptions.
(2) The participant/athlete should commit to train and be ready for 25 mile long day at a pace of 3 mph with a gain of 5000 feet in a day and recover over the night from it.
Application Cost: $150
Fundraising Goal: $600(3)
Skill/Fitness Needs: High Endurance(4)
(3) In case the registered participant cannot attend this objective hike, s/he shall pledge to raise a minimum of $500. This will be waived for documented medical emergencies only. No exceptions.
(4) The participant/athlete should commit to train and be ready for 15 mile long day at a pace of 2 mph with a gain of 5000 feet in a day and recover over the night from it.
- Includes stay at Mather Campground for Friday and Sunday nights
- Includes costs for tent rental
- Includes third party liability insurance costs
- Includes a stay at Bright Angel Campground (only to those who choose to do Trip Option B)
- Includes guidance on gear, packing, trip briefing and off the trail coaching on strength and cardio workouts
- Covers back-country and Special Use Permit costs
- Does not include the cost of shuttle service from South Rim to North Rim or vice-versa in emergency.
- Does not include insurance for evacuation
- Does not include personal gear such as but not limited to clothing, shoes, sleeping pad and bag
- Purchases at the Phantom Ranch are at your own expense.
- Hike Leads are volunteers and pay their own travel cost. They are not paid for this service to lead such a trip in Grand Canyon.
- Meet the hiking team: No later than 6 pm at South Rim, Grand Canyon Visitor Center.
- Time on Trail: Make no plans before 10 am on Monday. Drive to airport or further your explorations only after that.
- This is a massive undertaking, be prepared to be with the group at all times.
- These trips (both options) are led by Team Asha volunteers who climb local Washington mountains regularly every summer and have exposure to hiking in desert. They are either Wilderness First Aid or Responder certified and take part in managing groups on the trail with their trips.
- Be prepared to work with the team and document funds raised so that your goals are met and the places in need get those funds to improve upon their lifestyle and well-being.
- Applications will be due by Jan 10; only 7 spots are available this year due to restrictions by NPS.
- If you happen to get registered and are #8 or beyond, we will reimburse you the amount in 2 weeks.
- Training Hikes – Start in Feb
- Pace and Endurance will be tested for registered participants before the trip and Team Asha owns the right to say NO to participants if they see them as unfit for the trip.